Chiropractic care offers several benefits for people of all ages and walks of life, but athletes and weightlifters are among the groups that can benefit the most. If you’re a weightlifter or Crossfitter, read on to learn how it can help you.
Improves posture and performance
Weightlifting puts a lot of stress on the joints as well as the upper and lower back. This stress can increase the risk of misalignment and impact your performance. If your spine or other joints are misaligned, your body will distribute weight unevenly. When you’re lifting, this can cause one side of the body to bear more of the weight than the other side, which can lead to uneven gains.
Chiropractic adjustments help restore natural balance by ensuring the body is properly aligned. Adjustments also help restore proper function to the nervous system, which in turn helps regulate muscle function and promote recovery.
Weightlifters and Crossfitters expose themselves to a variety of injuries, including sprains, strains and pinched nerves that can affect the upper and lower back as well as the shoulders, hips and knees. With regular chiropractic adjustments, you can ensure your body has the proper mechanical balance, which in turn helps increase range of motion and optimize performance.
As a board-certified chiropractor and former personal trainer and collegiate athlete, Nate Wiechmann, D.C., understands the physical demands that are required to live an active lifestyle. He can recommend specific exercises that you can use to increase range of motion, build strength and prevent future injuries. (We also have a squat rack in our clinic to assist power lifters and athletes with proper form for injury prevention.)
When injuries do occur, chiropractic care can help speed up the recovery process. In addition to chiropractic adjustments, some of the other treatment options we provide for weightlifters and Crossfitters include:
- Cupping therapy – Cupping involves applying glass or silicone cups to the skin to create pressure. (We use silicone cups at our clinics.) The suction promotes blood flow to the affected areas, which in turn helps stimulate the natural healing process to relieve tension and inflammation in the muscles.
- Graston Technique® – This type of soft tissue mobilization utilizes specially designed stainless steel instruments/tools to break down scar tissue and fascial restrictions in the body. As the instruments are moved over the affected area and come in contact with the adhesions, they break up scar tissue and fascial restrictions, which in turn helps relieve pain and restore movement.
- Hyperbaric oxygen therapy – Our newest treatment option, hyperbaric oxygen therapy or HBOT, involves lying inside a pressurized chamber that releases 95-100% pure oxygen that’s increased two to three times the normal levels provided in our everyday environment. When your blood carries this extra oxygen throughout your body, it helps fight bacteria and stimulate the release of substances called growth factors and stem cells, which promote healing. (Typically a session goes for $80-100, but we’re offering 50% off your first session through the rest of the summer.)
- Taping – Functional Movement Taping (FMT) helps provide support and stability for weak or injured muscles. It can be used on its own or in conjunction with other treatments. It’s important to have a certified practitioner, like a chiropractor, apply the tape to ensure it’s properly placed for optimal benefit.
- TheraGun – TheraGun provides deep muscle massage that helps break up tension and increase range of motion. Oftentimes, this can be added on to other services for a minimal or complimentary fee.
- Trigger point dry needling – This type of treatment involves inserting a dry needle (one without medicine) into a “knot” or trigger point in order to relieve pain and tension in the muscles.
In addition, we provide functional movement screens and sports physicals to help athletes address faulty movement patterns and reduce the risk of injury.
Of course, athletes aren’t the only ones who can benefit from regular chiropractic care. As a board-certified chiropractor, Dr. Wiechmann treats people of all ages and fitness levels, including elite athletes, weekend warriors, pregnant mothers and children. Call 712-249-8231 for more information, or use our online scheduling tool to book an appointment.